Wednesday, April 27, 2011

The Student on the Street

I saw him today. He was the kid on the street corner. He had a huge shirt that was hanging down below his knees. He had the chains. He looked rough. He reminded me of the students that Jesus died for. However, a lot of times, we as Christians look at that kid and just talk about him. A conversation like this evolves. “Look at that kid. I bet he is up to no good. I wonder what gang he’s in. Quick, hurry drive away before he sees us.” I have to wonder if we would talk that way if Jesus were the one dressed like that street kid on the side of the road. I wonder what we would say if Jesus stopped us and looked us in the face reminding us, “I died for that student.” It’s a problem that we are so quick to offer judgment, but unwilling to provide an opportunity for change.

That student that you are judging and driving quickly away from, He needs hope. He is the product of the life that he has grown up in. Most of the time, the church has never been an option for him. A pastor never tried to get him to come to his/her youth group. People certainly didn’t invite him to their church. In fact, the kid’s only exposure to Jesus is as a cuss word. And he certainly has never owned a Bible. And without support, why would he read it even if he owned it.
So I was sitting there staring at this kid on street corning thinking this. Before we judge him we should probably look at ourselves. Now I understand that not everyone is called to reach at-risk students. However, we are all called to love like Jesus loved everyone when he died on the cross for the sins of everyone. Before we say that a kid like that is, “Dangerous and a lost cause,” we should ask ourselves if we have done anything to reach out to that student. You may not be a youth leader to him, but you could support those who desire to me. You could invite him to church. You could invest your church that is trying to reach them, or start a program that will reach out to them. You can offer him love, genuine love.

All I know is there is a lot of judgment and not a lot of love sometimes. I am not saying that I am perfect and don’t point the finger right at myself as I write this. We need each other, the street kids need you and you need the street kid. The body of Christ working together to reach our communities is a powerful force.

No comments: